Digital Blood Pressure Monitor
I was recently diagnosed with hypertension and told to monitor my blood pressure on a routine basis so I bought a digital blood pressure monitor. But I can’t find the instructions, can you tell me how to use? Before you use your digital blood pressure monitor, the FDA recommends the following guidelines: · Read the labeling to familiarize yourself with its operation. · Have the device calibrated/validated according to the manufacturer's instructions. Below are general instructions to follow:
- Sit in a comfortable position, with your legs and ankles uncrossed and your back supported.
- Place your arm, raised to the level of your heart, on a table or a desk, and sit still.
- Wrap the cuff around your upper arm.
- Turn the power on, and start the machine.
- If you have an automatic model, the cuff will inflate by itself with a push of a button.
- On other models, inflate the cuff by squeezing the rubber bulb.
- When the cuff is finished inflating, the cuff pressure will slowly reduce.
- Ensure the cuff fits snugly. There should be just enough room for a fingertip to slip under the cuff. If the cuff doesn’t fit properly, the digital blood pressure monitor can underestimate the pressure. Inappropriately low blood pressure, or clinical shock, is a medical emergency. Inappropriately high blood pressure indicates hypertension.
- Be certain that the bottom edge of the cuff is 1 inch above the crease of your elbow.
- Look at the display screen to see your blood pressure results.
- The machine will show your systolic and diastolic blood pressures.
- Write down your results, putting the systolic pressure before the diastolic pressure.
- Press the button to deflate the cuff.
- Wait 2 to 3 minutes before re-testing.